We love Montrealer Bernie Mireault’s work (creator of The Jam) here at HOTN Central and we are proud to say that he is contributing a story in his inimitable style for the upcoming Legacies Trade Paperback.
Here is a sneak peak from the 8 pages story featuring 8 Ball and Black Terror in a quite awkward moment… These little slices of life that Bernie captures so perfectly are what make his stories so intensely appealing.
We are truly sorry that the updates have been few and far between. We are still a minuscule team and we are working quite hard behind the scene to soon present you with a brand new Heroes of the North. We have fallen late on several things, some due to problems with publishers, cash flows, just being too busy scraping off a living, but we have not abandoned the show or our fans. Episode 20 will be released extremely shortly, along with the 24 pager Season Finale. Publishing issues have prevented us from delivering Coda on time, but it is headed to the Publisher this week. Nordik and 8 Ball Figurines should be here in time for the Ottawa Comicon with a bit of luck. We are also hard at work finishing up the first Heroes of the North Novel: October Dawn, our first trade paperback, which is going to be a behemoth, at 440 pages! And of course planning the intricacies of Season 2. So stick around true believers, we have a lot more in store for you folks VERY soon!
Several books in production at the moment, including a Canadian story by Gibson Quarter and Gillermo Ortego (above), a Madame Doom story by Geof Isherwood…
A Crimson story by Chrisopher Yao…
And yet another Isherwood masterpiece featuring 8 Ball. All these and more in the last of Season One Omnibus, Heroes of the North Coda!
8 Ball and Black Terror are at it again in the last comic book of Season One currently called Season Finale, appropriately (but boringly) enough! We cannot tell you much to not ruin your pleasure but this amazing 24 pages story is brought to you by the pens of Yann & Michel Brouillette, the pencils of Olivier Raymond, the inks of Kellam Templeton and the colours of Aljoša Tomić!
The events depicted in this book will dramatically alter the Heroes of the North Universe and set the stage for Season 2...
The Acadia comic is out! It is a nice little story about second chances, growing to be the person you want to be, and how fate sometimes changes our path. The story also features Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais) and introduces a new CDO character, Donovan Eastman. Written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, gorgeously illustrated by Geof Isherwood, coloured and lettered by Keiren Smith, with a cover by Ty Templeton! What more to ask? We hope you enjoy reading the story - and as usual, do not hesitate to rate or comment. This book will be part of our second magnum opus, the Heroes of the North: Missions omnibus which comes out in September 2012.
The Heroes of the North 80 pages behemoth, Omnibus volume 2, will hit the comic book stores everywhere in North America this fall - September to be precise. Yet, you should nag your favourite friendly comic book store this month (July) about it. Or, alternatively, if you live abroad or do not have a comic book store nearby, you can also pre-order it from our online store.
This is the wraparound cover for the second Omnibus, by Geof Isherwood.
Why now? What is the rush?, do you ask? Because the way it works is as follows: The book is currently being solicited now in comic book stores all across America in a magazine/catalog called Previews and published by Diamond Comics - which is pretty much the sole distributor of comics in North America for the retailers.
Retailers ie your favourite comic book store, must collect their orders during that month and submit them at the end of it to Diamond, who will in turn, inform the publishers of the minimum amount of copies the publisher needs to make to fulfill the demand, in order for everyone to minimize their risks, especially on lesser known titles like ours.
Now here is the rub: comics are a tough business these days and most retailers are pretty conservative. They usually stick to what they know and that is why they are still in business. They do not want to get stuck with stuff that does not sell and so on. And no one can blame them for that. But if their clients ask for it, they will order it. Maybe a few more, because there is a demand. And that is good for us and the show, for many reasons. Keep reading to find out why...
For the first Omnibus, the book was under ordered by a lot of retailers - most stores had ran out of the books three weeks after its release! - and they had to order more the next month. Thankfully we over printed a bit for conventions and so on - and we were (barely) able to meet up the demand. Whatever we had left for conventions has been selling like hot cakes with the end result that we have almost none left! If you want to get your hands on it, you can always visit our store or perhaps we will have some at the next convention, but that is the extent of it: a few dozens left.
The cover of the first Heroes of the North Omnibus, released in February 2012.
Now you may be thinking that we are making lots of money going through Diamond , with its extended distribution market that is so much wider than anything we could humanely cover on our own, but the truth is we are not: once you factor in the printing fees, Diamond’s own, huge distributor’s cut (60%!), our publisher’s share and other expenses like the fees of the artists and other contributors themselves, not to mention the cost of shipping at almost every steps, there is really not that much left, quite frankly. Not enough for a profit.
But going through Diamond allows us to get the book far and wide and spread the news of the shows to people we could never afford to reach otherwise. And that is why we do it and it is also why we ask you to order it from your retailers instead of through us, even though we technically lose money when you do it at this point.
As the books get more popular, get great reviews and so on, the show also gets more known and it helps on many fronts - people end up buying merchandise that is not available anywhere but in our store, they talk about the show to their friends and neighbours, they buy the next comic and so on… Allowing us to continue our growth.
And who knows, one day we might reach the critical mass in comics sales to an extent sufficient to make us a decent profit once all the people in the chain have taken their fees and all expenses are paid. We are not there yet but we are not that far off either. And with your help, we can definitely get there.
We want to do more comics and we want to keep going with the show. It is difficult but also a lot of fun and very rewarding on so many levels.
So, what can you expect in this new book, besides comics that are already on the site? As it turns out, a lot! In the first book, we only had one extra stories that appeared nowhere else. We have several more for this book. Here is a run down:
The book will feature five of the 12 pages book currently (or soon to be!) available on the site. They are:
- Nordik and 8 Ball Team-up: Chilling me softly, written by Yann Brouillette, with art by David J. Cutler, colours and lettering by Keiren Smith.
- 8 Ball and Black Terror team-up: The Bang Bang Theory, written by Yann Brouillette, with art by Gibson Quarter (with some inks by Guillermo Ortego), colours and lettering by Keiren Smith.
- The Archie style hilarious romp called Zombots being schooled, written by Yann Brouillette, with art and colours by Dan Parent and lettering by Zen.
- The tragedy packed Acadia: Pretty Clear, written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, with stunning art by Geof Isherwood, and colours and lettering by Keiren Smith.
And, last but not least, a superb story of the Canadian written by Canadian comic legend Ty Templeton, definitely the man for the job, illustrated by Daniel Wong. Those five 12 pages stories make up some two-third of the book’s sixty pages. There is twenty more to go. Here is the line up for those:
- A 12 pages, psychedelic and bat shit insane crazy Black Terror story called The Dark Alley, written by Yann Brouillette, illustrated by Zach Fisher, coloured by Aljoša Tomić and lettered by Zen. What happens in this one is so insane, we would not know where to start if we tried to explain it. So we won’t. An image should suffice:
- There is a fun little mystery three pages story called Blood Bath, featuring 8 Ball and Alpha Q, written by Yann Brouillette, illustrated by Geof Isherwood, coloured by Aljoša Tomić and lettered by Zen.
- A short but gorgeous Pacifica story called ASAP written by Yann Brouillette, with art by David Cutler, coloured by Aljoša Tomić and lettered by Zen.
- and we round up the book with a New Felquistes Halloween tale called October Crisis, written by Jean-Dominic Leduc and illustrated by Geof Isherwood.
With this line-up, we managed to feature every single characters featured on the gorgeous cover above, illustrated by Geof Isherwood. Every single one of our Heroes, and indirectly, our current main villains, made it in this 80 pages collection!
And you get all that Canadian superhero madness for six bucks! Canadian! We are not kidding, folks! As a reviewer said (about the first book): “Heroes of the North is the best bang for your buck right now in the comic book world!”. We may be biased, but we strongly agree with that! And we are bold enough to think we even topped it for the encore!
So spread the word! Like this post, tweet it, google plus it, whatever you need to do to let it be known that the time to get the book is NOW! And order it now yourselves, regardless of the way you choose to do so!
We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support. And we look forward to entertain you with the book this fall!
The Heroes of the North Team
Featuring the stories available in the comic book section of the site, it also features several new stories not available anywhere else, including a story with the New Felquists, Pacifica, Alpha Q and 8 Ball, as well as a trippy Black Terror tale.
Here is the description synopsis:
Nordik and 8 Ball team up to elucidate cold blooded murders. 8 Ball and Black Terror bring down a counterfeiters ring. The Canadian, Fleur-de-Lys and Nordik thwart a zombots attack in Riverdale, Toronto. A CDO agent discovers what it means to be The Canadian. A young orphan becomes Acadia. All that and more in this 80 pages follow-up to the Heroes of the North: Dark Origins!
Order it now from your favourite comic book shop if you do not want to miss it!!!
We know it has been a while since new episodes and new comics have come up on the site. Be reassured - we are not dead yet. In the spirit of being honest and transparent with our fans and supporters, here is what is happening:
We had a month long conventions sequence that took us literally from one end of the country to the other. The logistics and preparation for that took its toll on our small crew. But it is not the only cause of delays.
For some reason, despite a healthy diversification of our artists and pencilers, most of our books are severely behind for reasons out of our control. Several of our pencilers had to deal with either health related or family and/or business related issues. with the end result that a lot of books are delayed. Which brings us to the following comic book related updates:
- Mr. Richard Pace, who was to pencil and ink the most excellent Ty Templeton scripted comic of The Canadian had to bailed out of those duties for health reasons. Consequently, we now welcome Daniel Wong to the team, who will pick up on Mr. Pace’s duties and will heroically attempt to nevertheless help us deliver the book on time for the end of the month for the upcoming Heroes of the North: Missions comic book coming out this summer via Ardenn Entertainment. Which is where we remind you to order the book from your favourite comic book retailer!!! Hopefully we manage to make that deadline and get that wonderful story in the book! If it does not make it in the book, you will at least get to enjoy it in our comic books section later this summer.
- You probably saw some work in progress on a Black Terror story by Zach Fisher, who did those terminally cute Chibis versions of our characters a little while back. Well, Zach has been hard at work on a very strange Black Terror story that will also be featured exclusively in our upcoming summer book. We do not want to tell you anything about this story except that it is so wild and fun, it is definitely not one you will not want to miss… Especially since it will only be available in the printed version of the Heroes of the North: Missions Omnibus! This story is also notable because we are introducing to you a new member of our little team, a new colourist from Serbia, Aljoša Tomić. Welcome to the team Aljoša! Aljoša joins to team to helps us lighten the load on poor Keiren Smith, who besides having life complications of her very own, was now faced with an incredible amount of pages to colour and letter since so many books were delayed… They are now typically, arriving mostly at the same time… Which created a major clog in the work flow and sadly amplified the delays.
- Another story that will only be found in the upcoming book is a tale called Politically Incorrect, by Yann Brouillette and masterfully illustrated by Geof Isherwood. This one is right on time. But it was meant as a back up tale. From the looks of it, it will end up in the book as well! And it definitely earned it - the art is simply stunning! Isherwood fans will be happy to hear that he also contributed his considerable talents to two short tales that will also be exclusive to the Heroes of the North: Missions release. One features the New Felquists and Fleur-de-Lys while the other is a fun 3 pages romp starring 8 Ball and Alpha Q called Blood Bath. Which is also our cue to introduce Zen, another talent coming to the rescue to help us get the books out on time! Zen will be lettering the shorter stories - and perhaps a few longer ones, in order to ease the burden on Keiren… who is heroically colouring and lettering an Acadia story, drawn by Geof Isherwood as well and written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, which will also be part of the book and very soon available online in our comic book section as well.
- Another story about to hit our comic book section very soon is the long awaited team-up by Archie artist Dan Parent. The Zombots being schooled story is a lot of fun and we just cannot wait for you to read it!!! It will be part of the book being released this summer as well.
- Those who enjoyed the art of our last Nordik/8 Ball team-up will be happy to learn that another exclusive story, a Pacifica tale this time, has been penciled and inked by David Cutler, with colours by Aljoša Tomić and lettering by Zen. And to complete the book, there will be the 8 Ball and Black Terror tale penciled by Gibson Quarter!
- And while it is not part of the next book, another important piece is being finished as we speak, albeit terribly late as well. We are talking about the 24 pages Season Finale book, which wraps up Season One and is written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, penciled by Olivier Raymond and inked by Kellam Templeton. This one is an action packed piece featuring most of the characters of Heroes of the North and is NOT to be missed!
Well, that is already a pretty major post and we have just covered the comics! So if you have read this far, you can pretty much surmised that we had our hands pretty busy just with conventions and comics! But stay tuned tomorrow as we will go over what is happening with the remaining episodes, the Season One DVD release, Season 2 preparations and more!
Here is the lineup of the book:
- Nordik and 8 Ball Team-up, 12 pages, by David J. Cutler, Keiren Smith and Yann Brouillette.
- 8 Ball and Black Terror Team-up, 12 pages, by Gibson Quarter, Guillermo Ortego, Keiren Smith and Yann Brouillette.
- Acadia: Pretty clear, 12 pages, by Geof Isherwood, Keiren Smith, Yann and Michel Brouillette.
- The Canadian, Fleur-de-Lys and Nordik Team-up in Zombots being schooled, 12 pages, by Dan Parent, Keiren Smith and Yann Brouillette.
- The Canadian and a CDO agent team-up,12 pages, by Richard Pace, Keiren Smith and Ty Templeton.
- ??? (12 pages): Cannot announce this one yet as we have three books currently being finished and the first one that is done wins.
plus three short stories written EXCLUSIVELY for this book!
- 8 Ball and Alpha Q in Blood Bath! by Geof Isherwood, Keiren Smith and Yann Brouillette.
- Pacifica in ASAP!, by David J. Cutler, Keiren Smith and Yann Brouillette.
- and the New Felquistes in October Crisis, an Halloween tale of mayhem, candies and lost opportunities, by Geof Isherwood, Keiren Smith, Christian Viel and Jean-Dominique Leduc!
Our recent appearances at the Free Comic Book Day at L’Imaginaire in Quebec CIty and at the Ottawa Comicon made a number on our comic book reserves!
We regret to inform you that the Limited Edition Crimson: Dark Origins and Madame Doom: Dark Origins (including Black Terror) comics are officially sold out and out of print.
The only ways available at the moment to read the Crimson story is through the website in the Comics section or by ordering the digital version.
Both Madame Doom and Black Terror stories are found in the Heroes of the North Omnibus, a few copies of which are still available through the store, they are also both readable in the comics section of the site or they can be ordered in the store as digital downloads.
We want to thank everyone who bought those comics and support the show!
In case you can no longer get one from your local retailer (always support your local retailers! Things are tough all around!), you can always get a copy from us in the STORE. We still have a few left.
Our latest comic, Q&A with @Q is out! Penciled and inked by Marcus MAS Smith, coloured and lettered by KT Smith and written by Yann Brouillette, with a digital cover by Geof Isherwood and an upcoming print cover by Donald Caron, the story relates Alpha Q’s bitter first taste of the film industry, their propension to appeal to the lowest common denominator and their general lack of creativity. Or whatever else you want to see in it! Enjoy!
We cannot wait for you guys to read the upcoming Alpha Q comic illustrated by Marcus MAS Smith and written by Yann Brouillette (Alpha Q himself!). But while we wait for the hilarious piece to be completed, we can revel in the work in progress of the digital cover created by Geof Isherwood…
To celebrate the North American release of our comic book compilation published by Ardden Entertainment, we are going on tour! So far, we have three locations confirmed in Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa. Keep an eye out on our Events page for more locations and dates as we get them confirmed.
Come get your copy of the book and get it signed by the writer(s), artist(s) and get your picture taken with some of the actors of the series! We will also bring some of our merchandising, so you can stock up on Heroes of the North goodies and save on those crazy shipping costs!
So far the dates and locations are:
Boutique L’Imaginaire, Quebec City, Saturday, Janurary 28, 2012, 9:00 - 5:00 PM.
2740 blvd. Laurier, Place Laurier Shopping Mall
3rd Floor, Ste-Foy (Québec)
Who will be there: Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais), 8 Ball (Anderson Bradshaw), Artist OIivier Raymond and writer Yann Brouillette.
Expert Comics, Ville LaSalle, Saturday, February 4th, 2012.
8185, Newman Blvd, Ville LaSalle, (Québec)
Who will be there: 8 Ball (Anderson Bradshaw), other actors TBD at the moment, Artist Olivier Raymond and writer Yann Brouillette.
The Comic Book Shoppe, Ottawa, Sunday, February 5th, 2012, 11:00-5:00 PM.
228 Bank Street, Ottawa, Ontario
Who will be there: TBD.
Our critically acclaimed Hornet comic book is now finally available for digital download in the store for the very reasonable sum of one dollar.
The book was written by Yann Brouillette, penciled and inked by MAS and coloured and lettered by Keiren T. Smith. The Digital version cover is by Dean Yeagle. The print version cover is by Donald Caron.
In January 2012, our first comic book compilation will be published by Ardden Entertainment and available everywhere in North America. For the occasion, we wrote a few stories that will be available exclusively in that comic. Here’s a sample of a hilarious Black Terror story.
You can pre-order the comic book now from your favourite comic book store. If you do not live in North America, you can pre-order it from us at the same price it will be available in kiosks and stores here.
If you are wondering why it is important to pre-order the book, we answered all your questions on this page.
Colour us impressed! Diamond Comics Distribution, the entity that releases comics books all across North America, has featured our upcoming 80 pages Omnibus in their coveted SPOTLIGHT section in their November magazine.
The comic book cover was drawn by Marcus MAS Smith and features more of Marcus art, along with Olivier Raymond’s, and several other contributions that will be announced shortly. The book is written by Yann and Michel Brouillette and distributed by Ardden Entertainment.
The book is currently in pre-order in comic book stores everywhere for a January 2012 release. Get yours now!
This has been brewing for a while behind closed doors but we can now officially announce that Ardden Entertainment will be releasing an 80 pages omnibus of Heroes of the North as part of their November submissions, which means the book will ship in January. The omnibus will feature reprints of some of the web comics but also brand new material not available anywhere else! The 80 pages epic will be featured in the November Previews from Diamond Comics Distribution. Please kindly ask your comic book shop to order a few for their store. The more the merrier!
UPDATE: FOR THOSE WHO ARE WONDERING WHY OR HOW TO PRE-ORDER THE BOOK, WE HAVE ANSWERED ALL YOUR QUESTIONS!
As usual, there is a sneak peak, of inked pages. We cannot wait for you folks to read this story, one of the best we have written so far!
Here’s the first page of the coloured version of the comic.
Since the colours are not 100% complete, we will not show them yet, despite the fact that they are already stunning. But we will give you a little sneak peek nevertheless at the first page, inked and lettered, complete with a small grammatical error that will be fixed for the final version.
First, a really cool review from the Web Series Wonders blog to start off the weekend…
Two, big news, HUGE news in fact for our little comics that could… Can’t say too much but an American publisher is gonna put our a 96 pages Omnibus of the books throughout the comic book retailers network across North America. Huge exposure for your favourite Heroes! More detail next week as the press release comes out!
Three, stuff is brewing on the toy front as well. So much is happening it is hard to keep track….
Fourth, we got to meet lots of talented young Canadian creators at the last Fan Expo and several of them will join our art team in the coming months. Special thanks to Ty Templeton and Keiren Smith for shepherding some of these encounters...
And we are starting ground work on Season 2… That’s good for a drink, no? Come on! It is Friday night! Have one for us!
And more importantly: STAY TUNED!
We are pleased as punch to announce that will be adding a few comics to our line-up of books for Season 1. The comics menu page will be updated in the next few days to reflect these additions.
Besides the books already listed in the comics section, you will be able to look forward to books about the following characters:
- 8 Ball
- The Canadian
Some new artists will soon join us as well - more on that as things develop, but you can see a little sample above. However, here is a major scoop about the Canadian book. The Canadian comic, a 12 pages story, will be written by none other than jolly Ty Templeton. Winner of a Joe Shuster award as “outstanding writer” for his work on The Batman Adventures in 2005, it is with great anticipation that we welcome Mr. Templeton to the Heroes of the North fold. We cannot wait to read what he comes up with!
A lot more things are going on behind the scenes but we cannot reveal them to you yet...
Besides photo op at the boot, we will have the entire assortment of merchandise currently available in our store, including Hornet figurines you can get signed by the lady herself if you so desire.
That being said, the Hornet comic book will hit the inter webs early next week, just in time for the Fan Expo. Here’s a sneak peek.
Dan Parent, writer and illustrator of several Archie Comics books, and more specifically creator of Kevin Keller, the first openly gay character in Riverdale, has agreed to do a cover for an upcoming comic book currently entitled Zombots getting schooled by Yann Brouillette. We met the groundbreaking writer and artist at the MegaCON in Orlando this March and we must say that it has been an absolute pleasure to collaborate with the man, not to mention his Canadian (and more specifically Quebec) Connection.
The fun-filled cover is ready and features The Canadian, Fleur-de-Lys and Nordik. It is our pleasure to show it to you in all its glory:
The comic will not be online for a little while however as we have to release a Fleur-de-Lys and a Hornet story before that but you can also view the piece in higher resolution from our newly revamped Galleries or procure it from our store as a reproduction.
On a side note, all our comics are now HTML5, hence readable on all those Flash adverse devices. They are also in a easier to read online format.
We are officially back from MegaCon. We had a total blast meeting all our current fans and making some new ones. The weather was great throughout and we met tons of super nice folks. The only shadow was that Fedex managed to screw the delivery of some of our items. Other than that, everything went without a hitch.
We also got to make some contact with new cover artists for our upcoming comics. Archie Comics writer and illustrator Dan Parent will be one of them, as well as Toronto artist Kevin Yan who does Manga style epic like nobody’s business. Cannot wait to see what they come up with!
And amongst all that, despite being a stone throw away, we managed to miss the Rob Granito scandal.
We are also amongst numerous very talented nominees in the fiction and drama, Web TV, for the Numix Awards. Wish us luck!
And we are almost done with the French implementation of the site, so we will be returning to our regular schedule pretty soon!
In the store section, the Madame Doom comic is also now available to buy - the comic ships end of next week! The digital downloads of the comics will be available shortly as well, definitely within the next few days. Please note that the digital downloads of a particular comic will not be active until the paper version is also available.
The Characters pages are the next implementation, along with the cast and crew lists. The cast and crew lists will be found directly inside each episodes while the Characters pages will have its own menu. The galleries will also keep being implemented slowly over the weeks.
Other add-ons and improvements we are working on: a newsletter functionality to which people may subscribe in order to be kept informed of what is happening in the Heroes of the North Universe, a Calendar function where all our appearances, episodes and comic releases and other events throughout the year will be listed, a search engine page dedicated to the site itself, to make it easier to find what you are looking for, a live twitter feed update, the possibility to tweet your favourite links without leaving the site, visual improvements to the Medias and About section, etc.
Also left to implement are the other two story sites, the Medusa Industries one and the New Felquists, which should roll out in the next couple of months. Right now, you can enjoy the first of these sites here.
As usual, don’t be shy to let us know what you think of the new site, what features you would like to see, what we could do better, etc.
Thanks for being there!
The Heroes of the North Team