We are truly sorry that the updates have been few and far between. We are still a minuscule team and we are working quite hard behind the scene to soon present you with a brand new Heroes of the North. We have fallen late on several things, some due to problems with publishers, cash flows, just being too busy scraping off a living, but we have not abandoned the show or our fans. Episode 20 will be released extremely shortly, along with the 24 pager Season Finale. Publishing issues have prevented us from delivering Coda on time, but it is headed to the Publisher this week. Nordik and 8 Ball Figurines should be here in time for the Ottawa Comicon with a bit of luck. We are also hard at work finishing up the first Heroes of the North Novel: October Dawn, our first trade paperback, which is going to be a behemoth, at 440 pages! And of course planning the intricacies of Season 2. So stick around true believers, we have a lot more in store for you folks VERY soon!
EPISODES: Three out of the four episodes left to release are for the most part edited - the sound needs to be done on them. Three of the last four episodes have a lot of special effects in them and it has taken longer than anticipated to finish those amidst all the other complicaitons. We are working hard on getting it done and at least two of them should be released very shortly.
DVD: The release of the DVD has been delayed because of the episodes. This is both a good and a bad thing - bad because we cannot send the DVD right away, good because we have more time to had more features to it.
DVD Launch: Several fans have asked us to make a public DVD launch with a screening of episodes. We are planning one in July. More details to come. But we will also make it an exposition of costumes, props, art and other HOTN related stuff.
Season 2: Several comics a quite a few episodes have been written for Season 2 with more on the way. We are currently starting writing a few more. We start shooting Season 2 in August and September of this year.
Secret Project: Those of you who remember a few posts in this blog about the secret project will be pleased to hear it is progressing well. We should have something to show you very soon! It is very exciting and the whole team is pumped with even the partial imagery we have at the moment.
Website: We are still working on the best solution to accommodate all possible platforms via flexible width. Not perfect but it seems to be the best direction to take. We are learning as we go, so bear with us. That is also a big reason we are behind.
Internet Explorer: We officially no longer support this piece of crap browser. It is not standard and causes all kinds of conflicts and problems. Until Windows gets its act together, we strongly suggest you use one of the many, free browsers out there made by people who actually use the internet. Suggestions: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera. Your computer - and web designers world wide, will thank you with tears in their eyes.
All in all, this is pretty much where we are at. Since yesterday, strangely enough, we have picked up some steam on a number of comics. Some are getting significantly closer to completion. Expect new material very soon!!!
And thank you for your extreme patience!
The (exhausted) HOTN team
We know it has been a while since new episodes and new comics have come up on the site. Be reassured - we are not dead yet. In the spirit of being honest and transparent with our fans and supporters, here is what is happening:
We had a month long conventions sequence that took us literally from one end of the country to the other. The logistics and preparation for that took its toll on our small crew. But it is not the only cause of delays.
For some reason, despite a healthy diversification of our artists and pencilers, most of our books are severely behind for reasons out of our control. Several of our pencilers had to deal with either health related or family and/or business related issues. with the end result that a lot of books are delayed. Which brings us to the following comic book related updates:
- Mr. Richard Pace, who was to pencil and ink the most excellent Ty Templeton scripted comic of The Canadian had to bailed out of those duties for health reasons. Consequently, we now welcome Daniel Wong to the team, who will pick up on Mr. Pace’s duties and will heroically attempt to nevertheless help us deliver the book on time for the end of the month for the upcoming Heroes of the North: Missions comic book coming out this summer via Ardenn Entertainment. Which is where we remind you to order the book from your favourite comic book retailer!!! Hopefully we manage to make that deadline and get that wonderful story in the book! If it does not make it in the book, you will at least get to enjoy it in our comic books section later this summer.
- You probably saw some work in progress on a Black Terror story by Zach Fisher, who did those terminally cute Chibis versions of our characters a little while back. Well, Zach has been hard at work on a very strange Black Terror story that will also be featured exclusively in our upcoming summer book. We do not want to tell you anything about this story except that it is so wild and fun, it is definitely not one you will not want to miss… Especially since it will only be available in the printed version of the Heroes of the North: Missions Omnibus! This story is also notable because we are introducing to you a new member of our little team, a new colourist from Serbia, Aljoša Tomić. Welcome to the team Aljoša! Aljoša joins to team to helps us lighten the load on poor Keiren Smith, who besides having life complications of her very own, was now faced with an incredible amount of pages to colour and letter since so many books were delayed… They are now typically, arriving mostly at the same time… Which created a major clog in the work flow and sadly amplified the delays.
- Another story that will only be found in the upcoming book is a tale called Politically Incorrect, by Yann Brouillette and masterfully illustrated by Geof Isherwood. This one is right on time. But it was meant as a back up tale. From the looks of it, it will end up in the book as well! And it definitely earned it - the art is simply stunning! Isherwood fans will be happy to hear that he also contributed his considerable talents to two short tales that will also be exclusive to the Heroes of the North: Missions release. One features the New Felquists and Fleur-de-Lys while the other is a fun 3 pages romp starring 8 Ball and Alpha Q called Blood Bath. Which is also our cue to introduce Zen, another talent coming to the rescue to help us get the books out on time! Zen will be lettering the shorter stories - and perhaps a few longer ones, in order to ease the burden on Keiren… who is heroically colouring and lettering an Acadia story, drawn by Geof Isherwood as well and written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, which will also be part of the book and very soon available online in our comic book section as well.
- Another story about to hit our comic book section very soon is the long awaited team-up by Archie artist Dan Parent. The Zombots being schooled story is a lot of fun and we just cannot wait for you to read it!!! It will be part of the book being released this summer as well.
- Those who enjoyed the art of our last Nordik/8 Ball team-up will be happy to learn that another exclusive story, a Pacifica tale this time, has been penciled and inked by David Cutler, with colours by Aljoša Tomić and lettering by Zen. And to complete the book, there will be the 8 Ball and Black Terror tale penciled by Gibson Quarter!
- And while it is not part of the next book, another important piece is being finished as we speak, albeit terribly late as well. We are talking about the 24 pages Season Finale book, which wraps up Season One and is written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, penciled by Olivier Raymond and inked by Kellam Templeton. This one is an action packed piece featuring most of the characters of Heroes of the North and is NOT to be missed!
Well, that is already a pretty major post and we have just covered the comics! So if you have read this far, you can pretty much surmised that we had our hands pretty busy just with conventions and comics! But stay tuned tomorrow as we will go over what is happening with the remaining episodes, the Season One DVD release, Season 2 preparations and more!