Finally! It has been a long ride but Episode 20 is finally out! You can view it here:
It is getting awesome reviews from fans and reviewers alike!
Featuring The Canadian, Nordik, Medusa Commander, 8 Ball and Black Terror and introducing Hornet, Acadia and the Nurse in Chief! Don’t miss it!
2012 has been quite chaotic for us here at HOTN Central but we are slowly catching up with all the loose ends and everything should settle itself in the early months of 2013. WE want to thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm and we look forward to see you again next year, wether it is online or on the road at a convention!
In the meantime, here is a little gift for you, a short story written by Yann Brouillette,penciled by Gibson Quarter, inked by Guillermo Ortego and coloured by Keiren Smith. Enjoy!
This spectacular page comes from the pencils of Gibson Quarter and the inks of Guillermo Ortego. It features The Canadian trying to defuse what appears to be a bomb, from a story by Yann Brouillette called fittingly enough Time Out! This is one of the many stories that will be found in our last 80 pages omnibus, Coda, which will come out some time in December. It can also be pre-ordered right now form our store. The last omnibus will contain fifty-six pages of previously unseen materials, as well as the 24 pages Season Finale comic.
Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais), Black Terror (John Fallon).
Masquerade (Pia Metni), Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais), Acadia (Christina Sciortino).
Black Terror (John Fallon), The Canadian (Larry Vinette) and Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais).
Medusa Commander (Constantine Kourtidis) and Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais).
Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais) and Acadia (Christina Sciortino).
Masquerade (Pia Metni), Acadia (Christina Sciortino), Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais), Dave Michaels (aka wheelchair guy aka luckiest man on Earth).
It is that time of the year again! The Montreal Comicon is almost here and this year we have a huge chunk of the cast attending!
The schedule for the Comicon is as follows (Friday, September 14 until Sunday, September 16):
|VENDREDI||16 h à 21 h||14 h à 21 h|
|SAMEDI||10 h à 19 h||9 h 30 à 19 h|
|DIMANCHE||10 h à 17 h||10 h à 17 h|
And here is the Heroes of the North Montreal Comicon appearances:
All three days, all hours: Hornet (Marie-Claude Bourbonnais), Alpha Q (Yann Brouillette), Black Terror (John Fallon).
Friday (all hours), end of day Saturday (3 PM until 7 PM) and Sunday (3 PM until 5 PM): 8 Ball (Anderson Bradshaw).
Friday (6 PM until 8 PM): Masquerade (Pia Metni).
Saturday (10 AM to 5 PM) and Sunday (10 to 4 PM): Donovan Easton (Howard Rosenstein)
Saturday (1 PM until 4 PM) and Sunday (2 PM until 5 PM): Canadian Shield (Michel Brouillette).
Saturday (1 PM until 4 PM): The Canadian (Larry Vinette).
Sunday (1 PM until 4 PM): Acadia (Christina Sciortino).
Sunday (1 PM until 4 PM): Medusa Commander (Constantine Kourtidis).
Sunday (1 PM until 4 PM): Introducing Black Mantis (Season 2 Character)
We will have an exclusive Heroes of the North Omnibus 2 printed especially for the Comicon, on higher quality paper, and with a different cover than the one that will be in stores.
It will also have a different binding and a bonus story not found anywhere else. It will be expensive a little because it is a limited run of 100 - but if you preordered the book from us, bring your receipt with you and you will only pay the difference!
Be there or be square!
The Heroes of the North Team
The Canadian comic book by Ty Templeton - page 1 colours
It is here! Lots of first on this one: The first full on Canadian story by our first guest writer, the legendary Ty Templeton! And a first on the art as well since Daniel Wong contributes his first Heroes of the North story as well! Colours by Aljosa Tomic and lettering by Zen. Do not miss this exciting Canadian story!
Only one story to go to wrap up our comic slate for Season One!
The Heroes of the North 80 pages behemoth, Omnibus volume 2, will hit the comic book stores everywhere in North America this fall - September to be precise. Yet, you should nag your favourite friendly comic book store this month (July) about it. Or, alternatively, if you live abroad or do not have a comic book store nearby, you can also pre-order it from our online store.
This is the wraparound cover for the second Omnibus, by Geof Isherwood.
Why now? What is the rush?, do you ask? Because the way it works is as follows: The book is currently being solicited now in comic book stores all across America in a magazine/catalog called Previews and published by Diamond Comics - which is pretty much the sole distributor of comics in North America for the retailers.
Retailers ie your favourite comic book store, must collect their orders during that month and submit them at the end of it to Diamond, who will in turn, inform the publishers of the minimum amount of copies the publisher needs to make to fulfill the demand, in order for everyone to minimize their risks, especially on lesser known titles like ours.
Now here is the rub: comics are a tough business these days and most retailers are pretty conservative. They usually stick to what they know and that is why they are still in business. They do not want to get stuck with stuff that does not sell and so on. And no one can blame them for that. But if their clients ask for it, they will order it. Maybe a few more, because there is a demand. And that is good for us and the show, for many reasons. Keep reading to find out why...
For the first Omnibus, the book was under ordered by a lot of retailers - most stores had ran out of the books three weeks after its release! - and they had to order more the next month. Thankfully we over printed a bit for conventions and so on - and we were (barely) able to meet up the demand. Whatever we had left for conventions has been selling like hot cakes with the end result that we have almost none left! If you want to get your hands on it, you can always visit our store or perhaps we will have some at the next convention, but that is the extent of it: a few dozens left.
The cover of the first Heroes of the North Omnibus, released in February 2012.
Now you may be thinking that we are making lots of money going through Diamond , with its extended distribution market that is so much wider than anything we could humanely cover on our own, but the truth is we are not: once you factor in the printing fees, Diamond’s own, huge distributor’s cut (60%!), our publisher’s share and other expenses like the fees of the artists and other contributors themselves, not to mention the cost of shipping at almost every steps, there is really not that much left, quite frankly. Not enough for a profit.
But going through Diamond allows us to get the book far and wide and spread the news of the shows to people we could never afford to reach otherwise. And that is why we do it and it is also why we ask you to order it from your retailers instead of through us, even though we technically lose money when you do it at this point.
As the books get more popular, get great reviews and so on, the show also gets more known and it helps on many fronts - people end up buying merchandise that is not available anywhere but in our store, they talk about the show to their friends and neighbours, they buy the next comic and so on… Allowing us to continue our growth.
And who knows, one day we might reach the critical mass in comics sales to an extent sufficient to make us a decent profit once all the people in the chain have taken their fees and all expenses are paid. We are not there yet but we are not that far off either. And with your help, we can definitely get there.
We want to do more comics and we want to keep going with the show. It is difficult but also a lot of fun and very rewarding on so many levels.
So, what can you expect in this new book, besides comics that are already on the site? As it turns out, a lot! In the first book, we only had one extra stories that appeared nowhere else. We have several more for this book. Here is a run down:
The book will feature five of the 12 pages book currently (or soon to be!) available on the site. They are:
- Nordik and 8 Ball Team-up: Chilling me softly, written by Yann Brouillette, with art by David J. Cutler, colours and lettering by Keiren Smith.
- 8 Ball and Black Terror team-up: The Bang Bang Theory, written by Yann Brouillette, with art by Gibson Quarter (with some inks by Guillermo Ortego), colours and lettering by Keiren Smith.
- The Archie style hilarious romp called Zombots being schooled, written by Yann Brouillette, with art and colours by Dan Parent and lettering by Zen.
- The tragedy packed Acadia: Pretty Clear, written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, with stunning art by Geof Isherwood, and colours and lettering by Keiren Smith.
And, last but not least, a superb story of the Canadian written by Canadian comic legend Ty Templeton, definitely the man for the job, illustrated by Daniel Wong. Those five 12 pages stories make up some two-third of the book’s sixty pages. There is twenty more to go. Here is the line up for those:
- A 12 pages, psychedelic and bat shit insane crazy Black Terror story called The Dark Alley, written by Yann Brouillette, illustrated by Zach Fisher, coloured by Aljoša Tomić and lettered by Zen. What happens in this one is so insane, we would not know where to start if we tried to explain it. So we won’t. An image should suffice:
- There is a fun little mystery three pages story called Blood Bath, featuring 8 Ball and Alpha Q, written by Yann Brouillette, illustrated by Geof Isherwood, coloured by Aljoša Tomić and lettered by Zen.
- A short but gorgeous Pacifica story called ASAP written by Yann Brouillette, with art by David Cutler, coloured by Aljoša Tomić and lettered by Zen.
- and we round up the book with a New Felquistes Halloween tale called October Crisis, written by Jean-Dominic Leduc and illustrated by Geof Isherwood.
With this line-up, we managed to feature every single characters featured on the gorgeous cover above, illustrated by Geof Isherwood. Every single one of our Heroes, and indirectly, our current main villains, made it in this 80 pages collection!
And you get all that Canadian superhero madness for six bucks! Canadian! We are not kidding, folks! As a reviewer said (about the first book): “Heroes of the North is the best bang for your buck right now in the comic book world!”. We may be biased, but we strongly agree with that! And we are bold enough to think we even topped it for the encore!
So spread the word! Like this post, tweet it, google plus it, whatever you need to do to let it be known that the time to get the book is NOW! And order it now yourselves, regardless of the way you choose to do so!
We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support. And we look forward to entertain you with the book this fall!
The Heroes of the North Team
We know it has been a while since new episodes and new comics have come up on the site. Be reassured - we are not dead yet. In the spirit of being honest and transparent with our fans and supporters, here is what is happening:
We had a month long conventions sequence that took us literally from one end of the country to the other. The logistics and preparation for that took its toll on our small crew. But it is not the only cause of delays.
For some reason, despite a healthy diversification of our artists and pencilers, most of our books are severely behind for reasons out of our control. Several of our pencilers had to deal with either health related or family and/or business related issues. with the end result that a lot of books are delayed. Which brings us to the following comic book related updates:
- Mr. Richard Pace, who was to pencil and ink the most excellent Ty Templeton scripted comic of The Canadian had to bailed out of those duties for health reasons. Consequently, we now welcome Daniel Wong to the team, who will pick up on Mr. Pace’s duties and will heroically attempt to nevertheless help us deliver the book on time for the end of the month for the upcoming Heroes of the North: Missions comic book coming out this summer via Ardenn Entertainment. Which is where we remind you to order the book from your favourite comic book retailer!!! Hopefully we manage to make that deadline and get that wonderful story in the book! If it does not make it in the book, you will at least get to enjoy it in our comic books section later this summer.
- You probably saw some work in progress on a Black Terror story by Zach Fisher, who did those terminally cute Chibis versions of our characters a little while back. Well, Zach has been hard at work on a very strange Black Terror story that will also be featured exclusively in our upcoming summer book. We do not want to tell you anything about this story except that it is so wild and fun, it is definitely not one you will not want to miss… Especially since it will only be available in the printed version of the Heroes of the North: Missions Omnibus! This story is also notable because we are introducing to you a new member of our little team, a new colourist from Serbia, Aljoša Tomić. Welcome to the team Aljoša! Aljoša joins to team to helps us lighten the load on poor Keiren Smith, who besides having life complications of her very own, was now faced with an incredible amount of pages to colour and letter since so many books were delayed… They are now typically, arriving mostly at the same time… Which created a major clog in the work flow and sadly amplified the delays.
- Another story that will only be found in the upcoming book is a tale called Politically Incorrect, by Yann Brouillette and masterfully illustrated by Geof Isherwood. This one is right on time. But it was meant as a back up tale. From the looks of it, it will end up in the book as well! And it definitely earned it - the art is simply stunning! Isherwood fans will be happy to hear that he also contributed his considerable talents to two short tales that will also be exclusive to the Heroes of the North: Missions release. One features the New Felquists and Fleur-de-Lys while the other is a fun 3 pages romp starring 8 Ball and Alpha Q called Blood Bath. Which is also our cue to introduce Zen, another talent coming to the rescue to help us get the books out on time! Zen will be lettering the shorter stories - and perhaps a few longer ones, in order to ease the burden on Keiren… who is heroically colouring and lettering an Acadia story, drawn by Geof Isherwood as well and written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, which will also be part of the book and very soon available online in our comic book section as well.
- Another story about to hit our comic book section very soon is the long awaited team-up by Archie artist Dan Parent. The Zombots being schooled story is a lot of fun and we just cannot wait for you to read it!!! It will be part of the book being released this summer as well.
- Those who enjoyed the art of our last Nordik/8 Ball team-up will be happy to learn that another exclusive story, a Pacifica tale this time, has been penciled and inked by David Cutler, with colours by Aljoša Tomić and lettering by Zen. And to complete the book, there will be the 8 Ball and Black Terror tale penciled by Gibson Quarter!
- And while it is not part of the next book, another important piece is being finished as we speak, albeit terribly late as well. We are talking about the 24 pages Season Finale book, which wraps up Season One and is written by Yann and Michel Brouillette, penciled by Olivier Raymond and inked by Kellam Templeton. This one is an action packed piece featuring most of the characters of Heroes of the North and is NOT to be missed!
Well, that is already a pretty major post and we have just covered the comics! So if you have read this far, you can pretty much surmised that we had our hands pretty busy just with conventions and comics! But stay tuned tomorrow as we will go over what is happening with the remaining episodes, the Season One DVD release, Season 2 preparations and more!
Olivier Raymond is selling his unsold Heroes of the North conventions sketches in our store! Get your favourite Heroes or Villains!
We will also be introducing a new section for original art. The first items will be pieces from the Fleur-de-Lys comics by Olivier Raymond and a Crimson original by Armando Huerta.
As you have no doubt noticed, the entire website is undergoing changes so this new pieces will be added over the next few days!
As for the major changes underway on the website, a blog post will go through them in details, beyond the apparent cosmetic changes. Thank you for your patience!
Here is the latest costume design by Anderson Bradshaw (8 Ball) for The Canadian (Larry Vinette).
Well, it took a while but part three of the Heroes of the North Season One saga is now complete with the release today of Episode Fifteen: Wardrobe Malfunction.
It was one of the hardest episodes to complete for some reason, as several complications prevented us from releasing it when we wanted. But the important thing is, it’s HERE now.
This episodes sets various things in motion that will be resolved throughout Part IV: Medusa Rising next month. It is important to watch the episode all the way to the end, including after the usual logos, as it sets up events for episode sixteen and beyond.
This is one of the biggest episodes so far, over seven minutes in length, and featuring most of the main cast: Madame Doom, Crimson, Masquerade, Seymour and the Seymourettes, the New Felquists and an aggressive Zombot rounds up the villains side while 8 Ball, The Canadian and Fleur-de-Lys complete the Heroes side this time around.
Do not be shy to share on Facebook, rate or comment the episode! We love to hear what you think! As a matter of fact, you may even comment below!
Here you have it! The interview the Heroes of the North gave last week to Montreal anchor and all-around nice guy Todd Van der Heyden which was aired today as part of the CTV News Montreal NEWSMAKERS segment. The interview features Larry Vinette as The Canadian, Marie-Claude Bourbonnais as Hornet and Anderson Bradshaw as 8 Ball.
Today we had the pleasure of being invited at the CTV Montreal studios to do an interview with local anchorman Todd Van der Heyden, who is also a fervent comic book aficionado. He was recently hosting the Stan Lee and Adam West panels at the Montreal Comicon this year. Todd was an amazing host, who made us feel very welcome and put everyone at ease right from the start.
We created a little bit of a commotion as several employees did not know what was going on or who we were and for what and let’s say that two dark heroes and a colourful villainess in the middle of a cold October afternoon makes for a weird sight, even at a television station. For about twenty minutes, we felt we were back at the Montreal Comicon, distributing flyers, explaining what the show is about while actors were taking pictures with the enthusiastic staff members! It was great fun!
Once everybody was dressed up, we were brought inside the studio which was quite an impressive sight. It looks small yet somehow still conveys an impression of vastness. We have been interviewed countless times for television but this was our very first time inside a TV studio and it was quite an interesting experience. Everyone is working diligently, constantly communicating, even as the cameras are rolling, ensuring that everything goes well and that you end up with a pretty much finished product! A sight for sore eyes for us who have to painstakingly edit everything and then still have to add effects, sound and colour correction!
It was a fun experience for our little group and we would like to thank everyone at CTV, and especially Todd, for making it such a smooth ride!
The interview with our three characters should air on Monday, October 31st, during a segment of Montreal CTV News at Noon, as part of their Halloween special.
Don’t worry if you miss it or do not get CTV - we will get a DVD of the piece and it will be added to the MEDIAS section of our site after the original airing.
And that’s about it in a nutshell! Let’s just say that it was quite a busy day here at Heroes of the North Central!
UPDATE: We are featured in the Newsmakers segment.
Photos Credits: Justin Phillips.
As a bonus, there is also a brand new music section where you will be able to download some of the music used in the show. Currently there is only the Main theme but more will be coming soon. Enjoy!
In attendance for the two days of merriment will be: the facetious 8 Ball and the striking Hornet in her even more striking Season 2 outfit, and the brilliant mind of Alpha Q!
Also, in more sporadic appearances, we will find the nefarious Medusa Commander alongside the first ever appearance of The Canadian to any convention ever!
So be there or be square!
We are pleased as punch to announce that will be adding a few comics to our line-up of books for Season 1. The comics menu page will be updated in the next few days to reflect these additions.
Besides the books already listed in the comics section, you will be able to look forward to books about the following characters:
- 8 Ball
- The Canadian
Some new artists will soon join us as well - more on that as things develop, but you can see a little sample above. However, here is a major scoop about the Canadian book. The Canadian comic, a 12 pages story, will be written by none other than jolly Ty Templeton. Winner of a Joe Shuster award as “outstanding writer” for his work on The Batman Adventures in 2005, it is with great anticipation that we welcome Mr. Templeton to the Heroes of the North fold. We cannot wait to read what he comes up with!
A lot more things are going on behind the scenes but we cannot reveal them to you yet...
With July first merely hours away, we at HOTN Central wanted to extend all our Canadian fans a warm and heartfelt HAPPY CANADA DAY!
And to celebrate the anniversary of Canada, we geared our July promo towards the Canadian figurine. Get it now while we still have some! First seven orders will also get a free 2011 Tech Sheet Calendar! Just because that is all we have left, calendars wise! Beware though that the promo only starts at 12:01 AM on July 1st!
Have fun, be safe and enjoy Canada Day, on behalf of the Heroes of the North Team!
Photo by Yann Brouillette.
Dan Parent, writer and illustrator of several Archie Comics books, and more specifically creator of Kevin Keller, the first openly gay character in Riverdale, has agreed to do a cover for an upcoming comic book currently entitled Zombots getting schooled by Yann Brouillette. We met the groundbreaking writer and artist at the MegaCON in Orlando this March and we must say that it has been an absolute pleasure to collaborate with the man, not to mention his Canadian (and more specifically Quebec) Connection.
The fun-filled cover is ready and features The Canadian, Fleur-de-Lys and Nordik. It is our pleasure to show it to you in all its glory:
The comic will not be online for a little while however as we have to release a Fleur-de-Lys and a Hornet story before that but you can also view the piece in higher resolution from our newly revamped Galleries or procure it from our store as a reproduction.